Tuesday, November 02, 2010
"Your Baby Can Read"
We've all (or at least most of us) have seen the commercials with the babies and toddlers reading. They've been using the program, "Your Baby Can Read." I was skeptical at first upon seeing this ad. I usually do NOT believe everything on television as a general rule. :) I could tell by the commercials that these children were not reading but were indeed memorizing the words. That is what a FLASH CARD is for right? When we want children to learn their letters they use flashcards because that is the only way to learn a letter is to memorize that particular letter. The same with math facts, etc. However, when it comes to reading, memorization can only take you so far. What happens when you get to words that were NOT in your dvds and flashcards? Pretty sure they aren't including photosynthesis in those cards. The parent buys the program thinking it will make their children smarter when all it does is hinder the child by not teaching them phonics. Their peers that did not have the "benefit" of early training will be zooming on past them later on. Everyone wants the edge on smarts and that has resulted in a lack of common sense. Just BE with your kids. By that I mean, read to them. Talk to them. Just like the news article said, read, talk, interact and play with your kids and they'll learn just as good if not better. Daniel could definitely NOT read by the time he hit kindergarten but it wasn't because he couldn't but probably because I didn't work with him as well. I was reading small words by the time I hit kindergarten but nothing major. My sister worked and worked with me. Some kids are more prone to learn quicker than others. At any rate, teach them everything you can. Love them and let them learn at their own pace. Forcing your child to learn something they just aren't mentally and physically ready for is not love. Living your life day to day does not lend to lots of time to be spent working with your baby / toddler on their reading skills. I don't know about you but I have four kids. I'm preeeettty busy around the homestead. I don't have time to sit and do endless rounds of flashcards just so my child can appear smarter once they start school. My opinion? Ditch the overpriced program. Read to your kids and teach them letters and sounds when the opportunity arises. I don't mind if my kid isn't the smartest out there as long as they are what God wants them to be. So can your baby read? Bottom line, only if they have the brain of Einstein and you have nothing else to do all day but to flash cards in their faces and change out dvds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment