Monday, April 25, 2011
I remembered something...
So while I was writing my last post it came to me something I wanted to say. I felt it deserved its own post though. I must share with you one of my pet-peeves. Perhaps I have been guilty of this in the past but I have since seen the error of my ways. I realized recently just how awful it is to be this way to other people. I currently have only four children. Apparently when you have more than oh, say ONE, people seem to think you have currently spouted two long ears and a white fluffy tail (that's a rabbit for those of you who have poor imaginations)and therefore should have children like them - small broods of them, all at once or something. I am no rabbit. While I do not necessarily enjoy being pregnant as much as say, Susanna Wesley or Mrs. Duggar, I will say that every pregnancy is viewed as a gift from God and a hope for a new blessing and someone to train to serve God. That being said, I must also say that I enjoy my babies for as long as possible and try to wait as long as possible between children to have more. Grant it, we want quite a few (if God allows) and do not want to put off having children till we're 45. I would like them all here before I'm 35. That's a lofty goal, I know. I say all that to say this, people who come up to me and expect me to be already pregnant or asking when I might become so are not making brownie points with me. Frankly, I think its none of your business when my husband and I might want to THINK about having another one. If you're asking me out of heartfelt concern because you love my children so much that you can't WAIT to meet another one of them, then I have no bone to pick with you. If you are asking me with a snicker or a joke and seem to view me as the afore mentioned rabbit, then I have no time for you. I know you see us as a freakshow or someone who is half out of their mind, but we really believe it is God's purpose for people to get married and have *gasp* CHILDREN. I don't believe in being irresponsible or unreasonable which is why you will probably never see us with 19 children. We would probably not be able to financially handle them. You will probably see us with oh, 6 or so (if God allows). We are not Mormon, Catholic, stereotypical "homeschooler" (though that's not out of the question with regards to the cost of schooling 6) types, or need I say, Rabbits. We are however, people who believe each and every child, regardless of healthiness, is a blessing from the Lord. We also see it as God trusting this little person to us to mold and nurture and to raise to glorify and serve Him. For what other reason were we made? Even for those who are having fertility problems, adoption is much the same thing. You are in charge of a little being. Someone God created (with a little human help if you catch my drift!) with the purpose that that little being grow up to serve Him. What higher calling is there??? *Sigh* I digress. All I'm saying is keep your snickers and jokes and proverbial betting pools to yourself. We will have them when we have them. Not because you gave us the idea. Someone said to me recently, "I know you have this plan..." Yes, I have GOALS. Not plans. Yes I'm a little eccentric when it comes to the birth years of my children - only on even years so I can keep everyone's ages straight, therefore the next one needs to be in 2012 - but I am 30 years old. God may choose to just stir up my little "goal" (or as you call it, plan) and make me wait a while. I can't be mad at God for "disrupting" my "perfect plan" can I? I have never been shy about my making my "goals" known. I want people to know that I intend to do my part to help the earth stay populated - within reason. Therefore I understand there will be people who either a. disagree or b. think its a ludicrous thought. I do accept a few sideways glances and smirks because frankly, some people just can't help themselves. However, I do not wish to be the fodder for your gossip or hen parties to decide if and when I shall "pop out" the next one of my "brood." Comments such as, "How old is your youngest? 14 months? Oh so that makes you two months pregnant right?" or "We were talking the other day and were wondering when you were going to have another since you have this plan to have like 6 or 7. *insert their snickers and smirks here*" Well Mr. and Mrs. Ihavenothingelsebettertodothanfigureupwhenyoullbepregnantnext, (read it slowly people), you are apparently happy with the 2 or three you have and I am happy with the four I have and am ready to welcome more if God allows. I don't think you're a freak for only having 1, 2, or 3. Therefore don't think it odd that I choose to have a larger family. There. I said all I needed to say. I feel better. :) I think I'll go put my soapbox away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
been there.... it gets old to be constantly asked when the next one is coming... and now that "the next one" is almost here, being asked if he's the last? or will we stop cuz it's a boy after 3 girls or 'how do you do it?' like being pregnant and having small children at the same time is an unusual phenomena that no one has done before {it's not without it's exasperations, but it isn't impossible! and it has it's own rewards} and i'm sure by this time next year i'll have ppl asking if we're having any more. again. :) guess i borrowed your soapbox.
--tascha
Post a Comment