Sunday, October 10, 2010

Have We Lost Our Modesty? A Rant.

I'm probably not having too much modesty posting this but I feel it must be said. I try to keep this a family blog and only interject my opinions here and there. Today is one of those "rant" days I suppose. Last year at this time all the girls on my facebook were posting colors. Perplexed at what this was I started to investigate and found that they were posting the color of their bras to help raise breast cancer awareness. I was appalled. Literally appalled. To make matters worse, it was only the girls doing this. It was also meant to be a joke on the guys on their friends list because they would have no idea what it was. Several of the guys on my list were trying to find out what this mass "Color" status posting was. Once they found out they were embarrassed (at least all the Christians). I was embarrassed for them. I voiced my very vocal opinion on this as some of you might have seen. Here were Christian women (including some pastor's wives) posting their bra color for the whole world to see and yes, the whole world KNEW what you women were posting. People aren't stupid and in this day and age of the internet (such newfangled stuff) news travels fast and those of you who weren't the first five to post your color, everyone knew what you were saying. It does not take a dirty mind to automatically picture that woman in her color so to speak. Personally, I didn't want MY husband seeing all that stuff and thinking about that. We all know men are very visual creatures and the human mind cannot always control the images that pop into it. I feel sorry for the men those few days and weeks because they had to have had a horrible time fighting the mental images. I chose not to participate and loudly voiced my dissent against such things. Christian women (and any woman for that matter) had NO business causing people to think things. Yes, you could say you aren't responsible and only a dirty mind would think that. I beg to differ. So here comes October 2010. Another month of breast cancer awareness. Suddenly I'm bombarded with messages in my Facebook inbox about raising awareness and here is what we're supposed to do this year. Every woman is supposed to post where she likes to place her handbag / purse. For instance if you like to put it on the kitchen counter you say in your status, "I like it on the counter." And so on. If this was your first time hearing about this I'm sure you just did what I did the first time I read that. It was a case of, "Huh? *pause* Oooooh...*GASP!*" It does NOT take a dirty mind to understand the insinuations here. Everything today has a double connotation just about. I have had messages from women encouraging me to do this. Again, I was appalled. Let's just spell it out for you, this places an image in your mind of someone doing exactly what your first thought was (without me really saying it). If it doesn't, then God bless your perfect little mind. Again, this was to make the men go, "Huh?" for a while. Ladies, we are to GUARD ourselves and our men. I don't keep underwear catalogs in my house for one reason and one reason only, NO male of the species in my house is going to stumble because I left a catalog of half-clad women laying around the house just so I could THINK about placing an order. Men are VISUAL. Mental pictures and even real pictures are enough for them. Why would we put this stumbling block before our husbands, friends, brothers, fathers, etc.? Would you walk around being all insinuative in front of someone else's husband or whoever else? No, of course not. Why do it for the whole Facebook community to see? What you post is never private. Just like what I'm posting now I know very well that a bunch of people will see it. If you post such things like I've mentioned, you are not just having a "wee bit of fun" as one lady told me. She told me I was missing out on the fun. Not sure what she considered fun. Making men think things that aren't really what you meant them to be? Get real, women. Where is your modesty? What happened to just wearing a pink ribbon to raise awareness? When did our brains fall out of our heads? Yes, I am all for breast cancer awareness. Yes, I believe that we should find out all we can about the disease. And just for the record breast cancer is NOT just a female disease. It strikes men. They don't get any notice though. Just thought I'd throw that in. Listen, keep your modesty. This stuff shouldn't be talked about not to mention INSINUATED. Keep your head about you. THINK about what you are posting before you post it. It may not bother you but it WILL bother someone else I guarantee it. No, we shouldn't go around caring what other people think of us all the time but when things like this come along, you SHOULD care. Someone's husband / boyfriend / son / brother is looking at your status and thinking about YOU. And not always willingly! This is an UNFAIR thing. Stop the stupidity and the selfishness and the insensitivity. We all do stupid things and we all post stupid things (I've done my fair share of stupid posting!) but insinuating the marriage act and other such nonsense should never be one of them. Keep it clean, Ladies. Think of others. I shall remove myself from the soap box now. Please feel free to share my rant with someone else. As a matter of FYI, there's an empty soap box over there if anyone wants to take a turn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought...do we need to go on facebook at all? It sure seems full of a bunch of this kind of stuff! It might be best to avoid it completely...might save a lot of marriages and so forth that are falling apart due to much of this junk.