So I've been reading a couple of blogs namely,
The Nester and a blog by the name of
Pink and Polka Dot and I must say I've been inspired to redecorate. One thing I noticed right off was the slipcovers. I've dreamed of slipcovers for years! When Steve and I got married we visited a furniture store that was supposedly "going out of business." I have since learned that those stores lie. They prey on vulnerable furnitureless people such as ourselves. Anyway, we bought a couch, chair, and ottoman for what was a reasonable amount. I realized just now I have no picture to post of my chair. I'll add that later. I digress...okay I'm back. This couch, chair, and ottoman were not so bad looking in their original days. They are a dark greenish brown color with studded arms and whatnot. The legs are squaty little round things. Its cute. Really. However, after almost 9 years of use - 7 of that being with children and dogs - they are in dire need of some TLC. I have no idea how to clean furniture and frankly I can't have wet furniture for 48 hours. We would be sitting on the floor if that were the case. After discovering these blogs I have been inspired to do a slip cover. Now, let me tell you, I'm nervous about this. The material they reccomend is in no way cheap. They used duckcloth (canvas like stuff) and at our fabric store,
Joann's its $9.99 a yard and wouldn't you know it, I need about 10-14 yards for my couch and 7-8 for my chair. Let the fainting commence. Let's just get this out right now - I don't buy anything full price. I wait for it to go on sale or use a coupon. It pains me to buy something like that full price. So I waited. Sure enough they had a 50% off sale on that material so I was able to get what I needed for at least the chair. Why the chair, you ask? Well, I have an extremely short attention span, even this post is really pushing the envelope for me. I figured my first project should be something small - not the size of an elephant. Why not the ottoman, you ask? Not enough of a challenge! ;) I went with the chair. So I got 7 1/2 yards of my white duck cloth. Did I forget to mention it was WHITE? Yes! White! No, I'm not insane. Stop looking at me like that. I researched this idea for a LONG time before making this decision. I'm so indecisive so its good for me to research. ;) Lots of ladies (at least 5) had commented that they used the white and were also nervous about it but that it washes well and yes, they had children AND dogs...bigger dogs than mine. Grant it, I wasn't going to just go hogwild and take white - I was going to go with neutral/natural colored cloth. The Murphy's Law people fixed that for me and when I went to Joann's they had only white...or black...or magenta...brown...green..everything BUT neutral. God knew I I needed to just be brave I suppose. So I got white. I haven't started yet because my mom is planning on helping me.(no, I did not bribe her) I'll let you know how it turns out but till then, here's some pictures of the materials I'm using.

These are the four materials together. The duck cloth is the background.

This is the accent pillow cover material. Wanted something fun so the kids would enjoy it.

This is the other accent pillow cover materials - when I get bored with the darker brown. LOL!

This will be the material that covers my existing couch pillows. Probably going to go vertical with the stripes. What do you think? Leave me a comment! I want input here people! :)
1 comment:
Love all the fabrics and the mixing and matching of patterns. I would definitely go up and down with the stripes, not side to side!
Post a Comment