Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Today My Baby Turned One

Today, Caleb Aaron turned One year. *sigh* My baby is getting big!!! On Friday Phebe turns three. What is the world coming to!? Today, one year ago, at this time, 10:46 p.m., I had already given birth to a perfect little boy and was enjoying (well okay, not really ENJOYING more like ENDURING) the first few hours of our new little life and member of the family. I say "endured" because frankly, after, in the words of my son, Daniel, POPPING out a 9'7 baby boy you aren't really enjoying much after the epidural wears off. :) Every baby I've had has been fascinating to me. They are so perfect and beautiful. I'm sure you probably feel that way about your's also and you would be a fruitcake if you didn't. Babies are truly a blessing from God. Maybe we as moms don't feel that way at 2 am in the morning when the little bugger is screaming bloody murder and won't nothing do but to get the thing fed! And then by the time you nurse the piranah-jawed bottomless pit for about an hour (or less depending on the appetite!) you drag your exhausted and smelly self back to the bed only to find you can't get back to sleep! Once you get to sleep, it seems that five minutes later they have decided they're hungry, AGAIN. And as much as you hate getting up every 2 1/2 hours, the first night they DON'T wake up, you're having a spastic attack in your room, ear glued to the monitor, trying to figure out if they're still breathing. Oh the irony of it all. :) But isn't it all worth it the first time they say, "I love you, Mommy!" or the first time they smile at you and recognize you and yes, even the first time you leave them in the nursery at church and they have separation anxiety. You're secretly pleased that they are desparate to be with you and you feel needed. :) What can I say, I am addicted to motherhood. Can't imagine being anything else right now. So as I sit here tonight, reflecting back on March 4, 2008, I get this overwhelming sense of love for the little sweetie laying in the crib just outside my room. His smile is the first thing I see when I step out of my room in the morning. And as scary as the thought is that just occurred to me, I'm already looking forward to another blessing hopefully coming in 2010. :) (p.s. No I am not pregnant!!!!)

No comments: