Friday, March 26, 2010

Daily Deliberations - Have you lost your sweet words?

Proverbs 23:6-8 "

Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose thy sweet words."


The other day I sat down to do my Bible reading. I came across this passage and some how the literal meaning just didn't come across. I think God showed me something to apply to my own life that i hadn't thought about. Let me explain.

Have you ever sat down with someone and the only things they talk about are the bad things? You're sitting across a room or a table from someone and all they can do is speak ill of others, criticize, complain? Before you sat down with that person you were happy, in tune with God, in "harmony" with your fellow man, and then during that conversation you find yourself going further and further down that dark road of murmuring and complaining. Before you know it, you yourself are complaining and griping. You're criticizing. You're assuming the worst about someone before they've ever had a chance to prove themselves. That person has set before you a table of what he chooses to feed on all the time. He expects you to eat of the same table and if you aren't careful you get a taste for those "dainties" and there goes your sweet spirit. Out the window goes your good attitude, your fair judgment of people. You start to "vomit up" the same slime he just fed you. You start to agree with his unfair judgment of people. You start to believe that that person that he's complaining about really can be THAT bad. Your sweet words are gone. Your sweet spirit is no more. Be very careful who you sit down to "eat" with. I hope you know when I say "eat" I mean having a conversation with. Keep your conversation holy. Keep it above reproach. That evil eye is catching and you don't want to be the next "dinner" host! :)

No comments: